Vince Urquhart, CPE, B.A (Religion), MDiv (Pastoral), M.A. (Counselling) - Registered Psychotherapist
Vince specializes in counselling:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Social anxiety disorder (SAD)
- Panic Disorder (PAD)
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Domestic Violence
- Spiritual Direction
- Spiritual Counselling
- Integrative Counselling (psycho-spiritual approach)
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Existential Questions: Who am I? Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?
Vince has experienced the following symptoms:
- Anxiety attacks
- Avoiding activities, places, thoughts, or feelings that are reminders of trauma
- Couldn't catch breath when entering places associated with trauma
- Crisis Thinking
- Depressive mood/thoughts of death/suicidal ideation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty thinking, speaking, concentrating and forming thoughts
- Easily distracted
- Expecting the worst
- Imagining the worst
- Fear of making mistakes or looking foolish to others
- Fear of losing my mind (Dementia)
- Fear of death
- Fear of losing control
- Fear of small confined spaces (claustrophobia)
- Fear of what others think of me/rejection
- Feeling detached from others
- Fear of judgment by others
- Fear of public speaking/embarrassment
- Frequent feelings of unreality and disassociation
- Racing Heart/Heart palpitations
- Heightened self-awareness, or self-consciousness
- Restless sleeping patterns
- Inability to remember important aspects of the trauma
- Intense physical reactions to reminders of the event (pounding heart, rapid breathing, nausea, muscle tension, sweating)
- Negative thinking
- Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb
- Obsessed with sleeping and/or not sleeping
- Overwhelming fear of conflict
- Panic attacks
- “Freezing” – inability to move
- Uncontrolled crying
- Skin problems, rashes, hives, dryness, flaky skin
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Separation Anxiety
- Social anxiety/withdrawal
- Urge to flee or run away
Vince has personally experienced anxiety and phobia’s ever since he was young. As a 3 year old, Vince had a near death experience which resulted in a prolonged hospitalisation and separation from his parents. This experience led to separation anxiety with an overwhelming fear of hospitals and death. In his early teens and young adulthood, it became abundantly clear that his anxiety ruled his behavior and thought patterns which undermined his self-confidence and self-worth.
Vince was labelled in his early years of life as shy and he was socially and emotionally detached from others. After the loss of several loved ones and being rejected by a close friend, Vince took it upon himself to find ways to be more confident and less insecure in social settings. His phobia of hospitals and fear of death still gripped him and was the core issue of his anxiety. Insecurity, personal detachment from others, self-protection, and low self-esteem were some of the factors inhibiting his ability to cope and live life without tension and stress.
It was only after several personal and vocational rejections in his early thirties that Vince decided to face his phobia and insecurities head on and become a chaplain at the largest hospital in Alberta. Actively confronting his fear of hospitals, his exposure to this environment allowed a pathway of healing to begin. He was able to find freedom from some deep roots of separation anxiety and lingering interpersonal insecurities.
Through Vince’s tenacity and perseverance, he has chosen not to allow fear to rule his life. He has become more compassionate and genuine, aware of other’s needs, empathetic towards to those suffer from debilitating anxiety, phobias, fear and worry. Living fear-free, Vince is able to assist others in order to help them gain a new perspective on life and write a new chapter that produces relief from anxiety and fear, healing, wholeness and freedom. He loves seeing lives changed and people walking in freedom!
Vince has his Bachelor of Religion from Taylor University, a Master of Divinity from The Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary and a Master of Arts in Counselling from Providence Theological Seminary. He has spent many hours counselling as a pastor, providing spiritual coaching and direction, marriage counselling, and crisis intervention. He is a wedding officiate, performing weddings and pre-marital counselling in and around Calgary, AB, Canada. He is an Associate Professional Counsellor with PACCP (Professional Association of Christian Counsellors) and founder of iCare Counselling. This is where he counsels in Calgary, home to his wife of 25 years and his three beautiful daughters.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including anxiety therapist Vince Urguhart.
Recovery Support Benefits
√ 5000+ pages of self-help information.
√ Information you won't find elsewhere.
√ Information is updated and added to daily.
√ Comprehensive symptoms section with each symptom described and explained.
√ Frequent Questions section with answers to over 1300 questions commonly asked about anxiety.
√ Skype Live Call-In with Jim Folk and guests, as well as over 100 hours of recorded discussions.
√ Private members discussion forum with years of discussions and answers.
√ And so much more.
"The member's area of your website has the best anxiety symptoms section anywhere.
Now, I know what to do. You guys are great!!" - J.G.
See Recovery Stories