Dr. Ronald Pies, the editor-in-chief emeritus of the Psychiatric Times, put the Chemical Imbalance Theory as a cause for anxiety disorder finally to rest.
After more than 40 years, the Chemical Imbalance Theory as a cause for anxiety disorder has finally been completely put to rest.
On July 11, 2011, Dr. Ronald Pies, the editor-in-chief emeritus of the Psychiatric Times, laid the theory to rest in the July 11, 2011, issue of the Times with his admission:
“In the past 30 years, I don’t believe I have ever heard a knowledgeable, well- trained psychiatrist make such a preposterous claim [about chemical imbalance in the brain], except perhaps to mock it”
“And yes, the ‘chemical imbalance’ image has been vigorously promoted by some pharmaceutical companies, often to the detriment of our patients’ understanding.”
“In truth, the “chemical imbalance” notion was always a kind of urban legend - never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists."
Shortly after, pharmaceutical companies said they used the chemical imbalance theory as a “metaphor” and that the theory wasn’t ever intended to be understood as an actual imbalance. It wasn’t long after that that the chemical imbalance notion was dropped from all of their marketing materials.
No, anxiety is NOT caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It never was.
You can read more about the demise of the Chemical Imbalance Theory.
Common Anxiety Symptoms
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Tips page.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including Chemical Imbalance Theory Laid To Rest.