Marijuana (cannabis) makes anxiety and depression worse, a systematic review of prospective studies has found. Additionally, marijuana causes a reduction in symptom improvement when traditional treatments were employed.
The study’s abstract states:
A search of the literature up to May 2017 was conducted using several databases. Search terms related to the exposure (ie, cannabis) and outcome (ie, symptoms) variables of interest. There were no search restrictions.
In total, 10,191 citations were screened. Key inclusion criteria related to (1) cohort-based longitudinal study design using adults who met criteria for a mood or anxiety disorder at baseline, (2) an independent variable focusing on at least baseline cannabis use, and (3) a dependent variable focusing on the symptomatic course and/or outcomes in anxiety and mood disorders (AMD).
The results of this study found "recent” cannabis use was associated with higher symptomatic levels over time relative to comparison groups. It also found that cannabis use was associated with less symptomatic improvement from treatment (eg, medication, psychotherapy for AMD).
“Recent cannabis use was associated with negative long-term symptomatic and treatment outcomes across AMD,” the researchers conclude.
This research corresponds with our experience working with people who are struggling with anxiety and depression, and where marijuana use is a factor.
Along with other recent studies, these findings should serve as an alarm about definite harms associated with marijuana use, and that much of the anecdotal claims about the benefits of marijuana aren’t scientifically true.
The study was published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.
Disclaimer: anxietycentre.com is not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted at anxietycentre.com by contributing institutions or for the use of any information throughout anxietycentre.com's system.
Common Anxiety Symptoms
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Research page.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including Marijuana Makes Anxiety And Depression Worse.
1. Mammen, G, et al. “Association of Cannabis With Long-Term Clinical Symptoms in Anxiety and Mood Disorders: A Systematic Review of Prospective Studies.” Advances in Pediatrics., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 5 June 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29877641/.