Jim Folk suffered with anxiety disorder including debilitating panic attacks, from 1975 to 1987. During those 12 years, he had undergone countless tests; sought the help of numerous medical and mental health professionals; traveled to a clinic in Mexicali, Mexico; had been prescribed numerous medications; tried herbs, vitamins, diets, alternative therapies; and a host of other treatments in an attempt to regain his normal health.
After finding little help from medical and mental health professionals, in 1985, Jim came in contact with a psychologist who specialized in anxiety disorder. Jim’s personal experience with anxiety and his comprehensive research, coupled with the psychologist’s reassurances, helped Jim to turn his condition around. In 1986, Jim stopped all medication and regained his normal health one year later.
You can read a more detailed description of Jim’s battle with anxiety disorder in the article “Jim Folk’s Anxiety Story.”
Jim continues to enjoy anxiety- and medication-free health today (over 30 years).
Jim’s 12-year battle with severe anxiety disorder, which included panic attack disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and social anxiety disorder cultivated a passion to help others. He vowed that if he ever overcome anxiety disorder, he would do whatever he could to help as many people as he could to achieve the same success.
Even though Jim overcame anxiety disorder in 1987, his passion to help others motivated him to continue with vigorous research into anxiety and other mental health disorders (which he continues to do today). In 1989, Jim began working with panic and anxiety disorder sufferers. In 1990, he established a local support group, and in 1992, he wrote the book “Recovering from Panic Attacks.” In 1996, he developed the website panicattack-help.com, which transitioned into anxietycentre.com in 2000.
Today, Jim is the president of anxietycentre.com, which offers extensive self-help information and personal psychotherapy, therapy, counseling, and coaching services to individuals and small groups from around the world.
Visit “Jim Folk’s Anxiety Story” for a more detailed version of Jim’s personal struggle with anxiety disorder.
While most of Jim’s time is devoted to the work at anxietycentre.com, he occasionally has time to support external projects. Here are a few he’s been involved with:
Interviews, Stories, and Citations:
- “Urges to pee and other ways our bodies react to anxiety” by Arti Patel, Global News
- “How To Cope With Holiday Stress” by Tiffany Oud, for The Weal magazine, SAIT
- “A World Of Worry” by Sydney Loney, Reader’s Digest, July/Aug 2017
- “6 Things You Need to Know About Generalized Anxiety Disorder” by Sydney Loney, Reader’s Digest, Canada,
- “Anxiety Attacks” for CanadaWide.com, Wellness Matters by Natalie Bruckner-Menchelli
- Tencer & Grose Show on CHED 630 Radio, Tuesday March 25, 2014
- “Check In with Wes” on LA Talk Radio, April 2012
- Interview with Annette Martel on Live.ca, February 2011
- “Anxiety sufferers learn to confront fear” by Donna Grey, Calgary Herald, Oct. 19, 2006
- “Text book for the RtI-Psi Psychiatric/Mental Health Screeners & Progress Monitoring Database” – by Vance Stewart, Ph. D., Licensed Psychologist/Health Service Provider, Clinical & Educational Specialization Areas, 2019
- Achina Stein, Psychiatrist, East Providence, RI, USA
- “Stress Reduction Workshop” by Cathy Obright, London, Ontario
- “Cop Shock – Surviving Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)” second edition by Allen R. Kates
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.