Is Anxiety Caused By A Biological Or Chemical Imbalance In the Brain?
My doctor said that anxiety disorder and depressive disorders are caused by a biological problem or chemical imbalance problem in the brain? He also said that this biological or chemical imbalance problem is genetically caused. Is this true?
No, this is not true.
Anxiety disorder and depressive disorder are NOT caused by a biological problem with the brain, a chemical imbalance in the brain, or by a genetic predisposition.
While many in the medical, mental health, and science communities believed these theories were true a few years ago, these notions never were proven, only surmized.
However, these theories were put to rest a few years ago..
For more detailed information about this, see our "Chemical Imbalance Disproven" article.
If a doctor or mental health professional tells you your anxiety or depression is caused by a biological problem with the brain, a chemical imbalance in the brain, or by a genetic predisposition, we recommend seeing a different doctor. An outdated approach like this will not be helpful to your recovery.
Common Anxiety Symptoms
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Articles page.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including the chemical imbalance theory is false.