Can You Have Anxiety Disorder Without Underlying Factors?
I don’t feel anxious or stressed but I have anxiety symptoms. I’ve been to the doctor many times and he always tells me my symptoms are symptoms of anxiety and that I should address my anxiety issues.
I like the fact that he won’t give me drugs, which I wouldn’t take anyway. But I’m having a hard time believing I have anxiety issues since I don’t feel anxious or stressed.
Is it possible to have anxiety disorder without having underlying factors?
Anxiety is the physiological, psychological, and emotional state that occurs when we believe we could be in danger – that something harmful or unpleasant might happen.
Visit the “What Causes Anxiety?” article for more information.
Since anxiety is created by behavior – the ways we think and act – and behavior is motivated by underlying factors (the beliefs, attitudes, preferences, habits, situations, and circumstances, and so on that motivate anxious behavior), no, it isn’t possible to have anxiety disorder without underlying factors.
However, it’s common to BELIEVE you don’t have any underlying factors because you don’t feel anxious or stressed even though you have anxiety symptoms.
In fact, many people first discover they have issues with anxiety when symptoms appear, and their doctor diagnoses them as anxiety symptoms.
---------- Advertisement - Article Continues Below ----------
---------- Advertisement Ends ----------
This occurs because:
- Anxiety’s underlying factors are almost always invisible to the sufferer because they’ve behaved the same way for years so their behaviors seem normal.
- Many anxious people don’t recognize their anxiety and stress levels are abnormal because they feel normal since this is what they've become used to.
We experience anxiety disorder for specific reasons. If you are experiencing anxiety symptoms, it’s because you have issues with anxiety.
Yes, many medical conditions and medications can cause anxiety-like symptoms, but most doctors can easily determine the difference between them and true anxiety symptoms.
The good news is that when we identify and address our anxiety issues — the underlying factors that cause anxiety and stress — we can eliminate anxiety, its symptoms, and the stress that’s causing symptoms.
We can then live a normal life, one without anxiety issues, abnormal stress, and symptoms.
Since anxiety disorder is caused by specific reasons, when those reasons are identified and successfully addressed, issues with anxiety and unhealthy stress subside.
We can overcome issues with anxiety, and that is by addressing the specific reasons why problematic anxiety occurs.
When you identify and successfully address the anxiety problem, the problem and its symptoms subside.
We believe everyone can overcome issues with anxiety with the right information, professional help, and support.
Working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to overcome anxiety disorder and its symptoms.
For more information:
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Frequent Questions archive.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including the Frequently Asked Anxiety Question: Can You Have Anxiety Disorder Without Underlying Factors?