Anxiety Treatments - Vitamin And Mineral Supplements
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce the negative effects of stress on the body can help reduce stress and anxiety symptoms.
While vitamin and mineral supplements won't address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, they may help reduce the negative effects associated with stress and anxiety.
How helpful are vitamin and mineral supplements?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried vitamin and mineral supplements:
- 34.3 % said they experienced no difference
- 54.8 % said they experienced little to some benefit
- 7.4 % said they experienced great benefit
- No one experienced complete relief
- 3.4 % said vitamin and mineral supplements made things worse
While vitamin and mineral supplements may help some people to some degree, their overall effectiveness in the treatment of anxiety is poor.
Some studies suggest that taking a multi-vitamin daily can improve health, but other studies have found that taking anything more than a daily multi-vitamin may actually be harmful to your health.
Current thinking suggests that if you are eating a healthy and balanced diet, there's no need for vitamin and mineral supplements. If you aren't able to eat a healthy and balanced diet regularly or if you have a particular medical condition, you may benefit from taking a daily multi-vitamin or additional supplement. When in doubt, check with your doctor and nutritionist.
Since each person is different, what may work for one person may not for another. We encourage you to use caution and discernment when trying anxiety treatment options.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety tips page.