Anxiety Treatments: Good Sleep
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
Getting good sleep isn’t going to address the underlying factors associated with your anxiety, but can help to reduce the negative effects of stress caused by anxiety.
How helpful is getting good sleep?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried getting better sleep:
- 20.2% said they experienced no difference
- 79.4% said they experienced little to great benefit
- 0.4% said they experienced complete relief
- No one said better sleep made things worse
We are advocates of getting good sleep.
Getting a good sleep each night can make a noticeable difference in the level and intensity of symptoms, as well as can really help to improve your overall mood.
Getting regular good sleep is one of those natural strategies you can apply to help make a difference in how you feel.
So before you decide to stay up that extra hour or two, consider how the consequences of your decision will affect your health.
You do have great control over how you feel. It often comes down to the choices you make.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our anxiety tips page.