Anxiety Treatments: Self-help Information
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
While self-help materials typically don't sufficiently address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, they may help you better understand stress and anxiety. They may also provide you with a number of practical strategies to help reduce your stress and symptoms.
How helpful are self-help materials?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried self-help materials:
- 8.4 % said they experienced no difference
- 67.6 % said they experienced little to some benefit
- 22.8 % said they experienced great benefit
- .8 % said they experienced complete relief
- .4 % said using self-help materials made things worse
We are advocates of using good self-help materials because of their many benefits they can provide. With anxiety resolution, knowledge is power. The more you know, the better off you'll be.
In fact, research has shown that self-help materials used in conjunction with therapy is THE BEST and MOST EFFECTIVE form of treatment for anxiety disorders. Our experience agrees with these findings.
NOTE: It is important to use GOOD self-help materials. Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions about anxiety, and many people who claim to be able to help with anxiety resolution. But unless the materials and approaches reflect the latest thinking and research on anxiety, they may actually do more harm than good. We encourage you to use wisdom and discernment when looking for self-help materials.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our anxiety tips page.