Anxiety Treatments: Medication
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
While medication doesn't address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, it may help to buffer your body from the negative effects of anxiety-caused stress.
How helpful is medication?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried medication:
- 4.4 % said they experienced no difference
- 44.8 % said they experienced little
to some benefit
- 31 % said they experienced great benefit
- 3.9 % said they experienced complete
- 15.8 % said medication made things worse
NOTE: Medication should NOT be considered as a cure for anxiety. While some people may experience some symptom reduction, others may see their symptoms escalate. Work closely with your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking medication or are considering taking medication.
Since each person is different, what may work for one person may not for another. We encourage you to use caution and discernment when trying anxiety treatment options.
Many of those who struggle with an anxiety condition do so because of their fear of their symptoms and their ongoing concern about how they feel. They struggle in these areas because they don't understand the connection between anxiety symptoms and stress. Learning about the anxiety-stress connection is an important step toward recovery and long-term success.
If you are afraid of your symptoms and concerned about how you feel, you may want to research the anxiety-stress connection so that you can see how they are linked and how one can negatively feed off of the other.
Note: Members can read about this connection and learn how to become unafraid of their symptoms in the new and revised sections in the member's area on "Dealing with Symptoms" in CHAPTER SIX: Cognitive Strategies for Recovery and Sustained Normal Health.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety tips page.