Anxiety Treatments: Massage
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
While massage isn't going to address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, it may help to buffer your body from the negative effects of anxiety-caused stress.
How helpful is massage?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried massage:
- 10.8 % said they experienced no difference
- 87.9 % said they experienced little
to great benefit
- .7 % said they experienced complete
- .7 % said massage made things worse
NOTE: We believe that massage is a good way to help reduce stress and it's negative effects.
Since each person is different, what may work for one person may not for another. We encourage you to use caution and discernment when trying anxiety treatment options.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety tips page.