Anxiety Treatments: Herbal Remedies
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
While herbal remedies aren't going to address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, they may help to buffer your body from the negative effects of anxiety-caused stress.
How helpful are herbal remedies?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried herbal remedies:
- 31.4 % said they experienced no difference
- 60 % said they experienced little to
- 1 % said they experienced complete
- 7.6 % said they made things worse
NOTE: Some herbal remedies may cause great harm if combined with prescription or over-the-counter medications. ALL medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and supplements (herbal, naturopathic, vitamin, mineral) should be discussed with your doctor before use.
Since each person is different, what may work for one person may not for another. We encourage you to use caution and discernment when trying anxiety treatment options.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our anxiety tips page.