Anxiety Treatments: Regular Deep Relaxation
Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress caused by anxiety (worry, fearful thinking). Any method used to reduce stress helps the body to calm down and become less symptomatic. The less stimulated the body is, the less symptomatic it will be.
While regular deep relaxation doesn't address the underlying factors associated with anxiety, it may help to buffer your body from the negative effects of anxiety-caused stress.
How helpful is regular deep relaxation?
In a poll we recently conducted, participants indicated:
Of those who tried regular deep relaxation:
- 6.9 % said they experienced no difference
- 61.4 % said they experienced little to some benefit
- 28 % said they experienced great benefit
- 1.1 % said they experienced complete relief
- 2.6 % said regular deep relaxation made things worse
We are advocates of regular deep relaxation because of its many benefits. It also feels really good, too.
Regular deep relaxation can not only help your body and mind to calm down, but can also help to significantly reduce stress and anxiety-caused symptoms. We believe regular deep relaxation is one of the silver bullets for stress and anxiety management for both short and long-term success.
While regular deep relaxation may be awkward or uncomfortable in the early stages, it does pay dividends over the long-term.
Since each person is different, what may work for one person may not for another. We encourage you to use caution and discernment when trying anxiety treatment options.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our anxiety tips page.