Low Blood Sugar – Can Cause Many Anxiety-like Symptoms
The body, through digestion, converts the food we eat into blood sugar (and other nutrients to help the body rebuild). Much like gas for our vehicle, the body uses blood sugar for fuel.
When the body's blood sugar is within the normal range, the body performs well and we have a healthy level of energy. However, if blood sugar is allowed to drop too low, we can experience symptoms of low blood sugar.
Low blood sugar, even low within the normal range, can cause many anxiety-like symptoms, including:
- An increase in feeling anxious
- Being nervous or anxious
- Blurred/impaired vision
- Color draining from the skin (pallor)
- Coordination problems, clumsiness
- Crying out during sleep
- Dizziness; light headedness
- Fast heartbeat
- Feeling shaky
- Feeling Sleepy
- Feeling weak or having no energy
- Inability to complete routine tasks
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Irritability or impatience
- Loss of consciousness
- Nightmares or crying out during sleep
- Pale skin
- Sweating, chills and clamminess
- Tingling or numbness in the lips, tongue, or cheeks
- Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision
To name a few.
Anxiety and hyperstimulation can cause low blood sugar because they can cause the body to use up its energy resources faster than normal. If you aren’t eating sufficiently to restore the body’s energy resources, blood sugar can drop and cause the above symptoms.
You can remedy this by eating regular meals or frequently throughout the day when anxiety and hyperstimulation are elevated. Keeping your energy resources replenished can prevent drops in blood sugar.
Eating natural and whole foods can also be helpful as they take longer to assimilate.
Also, avoid raw sugar, high fat, and fast foods as they metabolize quickly, which can cause a “blood sugar spike then plunge” phenomenon.
Common Anxiety Symptoms
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to Anxiety Symptoms section.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including how low blood sugar can cause many anxiety-like symptoms.
1. “Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Glucose).” ADA, 5 Oct. 2019. https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/medication-management/blood-glucose-testing-and-control/hypoglycemia.
2. “Hypoglycemia.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 7 Sept. 2018. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypoglycemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373685.
Recovery Support Benefits
√ 5000+ pages of self-help information.
√ Information you won't find elsewhere.
√ Information is updated and added to daily.
√ Comprehensive symptoms section with each symptom described and explained.
√ Frequent Questions section with answers to over 1300 questions commonly asked about anxiety.
√ Skype Live Call-In with Jim Folk and guests, as well as over 100 hours of recorded discussions.
√ Private members discussion forum with years of discussions and answers.
√ And so much more.
"The member's area of your website has the best anxiety symptoms section anywhere.
Now, I know what to do. You guys are great!!" - J.G.
See Recovery Stories