Infections - frequent, reoccuring, persistent
Infections - increase, persistence
You may experience frequent, reoccurring, or persistent infections. They may affect one part of the body recurrently or persistently, or may affect other parts of the body, as well. Infections can also move from one part to another. They can be very resistant to treatment.
Infections are caused by viruses or bacteria that invade the body and take hold there. Most parts of the body can be infected by viruses and bacteria.
Generally, the body’s immune system does a good job in warding off foreign intruders. Sometimes, however, it allows foreign intruders to invade the body. This commonly occurs when the immune system is weakened or suppressed.
While anxiety doesn’t directly cause infections, being anxious stresses the body, and stress weakens the body's immune system making it more susceptible to infections and viruses. In this regard, anxiety can play a role in increased and persistent infections.
For more information about anxiety’s role in the development and persistence of infections, see the “Infections - increase in the amount, reoccurring, or the persistence of” link in Chapter 9 (our anxiety symptoms chapter) in the Recovery Support area of our website.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety symptoms page.