Anxiety symptoms are symptoms of stress
The stress response causes numerous body-wide changes that enhance our ability to deal with a threat. These body-wide changes stress the body. A body that's under stress can exhibit symptoms of stress.
Discuss your symptoms with your doctor
Because there are many medical conditions and medications that can cause stress-like symptoms, we recommend all new, changing, persistent, and returning symptoms be discussed with your doctor.
If your doctor concludes your symptoms are solely attributed to stress, including anxiety-caused stress, you can be confident there isn't a medical cause.
Generally, doctors can easily determine the difference between stress- and anxiety-caused symptoms from those caused by a medical condition or the side effects of medication.
Doctors aren’t infallible, however. If you are uncertain about your doctor’s diagnosis, you may want to seek a second or more opinions. If all opinions agree, however, you can be confident there isn’t a medical or medication reason for your symptoms.
Anxiety and its symptoms can aggravate pre-existing medical conditions
Anxiety and stress can aggravate pre-existing medical conditions and their symptoms. This is another reason to discuss your anxiety and its symptoms with your doctor for complete medical care.
Not all doctors are equal
Just as there are personality differences among doctors, there are also differing levels of knowledge and approaches. For optimum anxiety disorder care, it’s best to work with a doctor who understands anxiety and the association between anxiety and stress.
Working with a knowledgeable doctor can make a significant difference in your anxiety disorder recovery.
Common Anxiety Symptoms
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety disorders signs and symptoms page.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including Anxiety Symptoms Medical Advisory.
2. Folk, Jim and Folk, Marilyn. “The Stress Response And Anxiety Symptoms.” anxietycentre.com, August 2019.
4. Yaribeygi, Habib, et al. “The Impact of Stress on Body Function: A Review.” EXCLI Journal, Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors, 2017.