Common descriptions of the "Altered State Of Consciousness" anxiety symptom include:
- You feel like you are separate from yourself.
- You feel like you are not part of reality.
- You feel like you are disconnected from the real world.
- It can also feel like you are in a dream-like state or in a state of unreality.
- It can also feel like you are having an out-of-body experience.
- It can also feel like you are experiencing an altered state of consciousness.
Others describe it as you feel like you are not a part of what is going on, that you feel like you are "out of touch with things," feel that you are an observer of the world and/or yourself, but not able to feel a part of reality. Yet others describe it as feeling very unreal then think that you are losing your mind or will cross over into some other non-real world or consciousness. These thoughts can have you questioning your sanity, and thinking that you might be losing your mind.
This symptom is commonly referred to as Depersonalization.
Chapter 9 in the Recovery Support area of our website is our Anxiety Symptoms chapter. We list all of the symptoms commonly associated with anxiety disorder in this chapter, including depersonalization. Each symptom listed there contains a complete description of what the symptom feels like and how others describe it, we explain why each symptom occurs, we provide natural and practical ways you can eliminate each symptom, and how common each symptom is (the percentage of people who experience it).
Common Anxiety Symptoms
- For a comprehensive list of Anxiety Disorders Symptoms Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our anxiety disorders signs and symptoms page.
anxietycentre.com: Information, support, and therapy for anxiety disorder and its symptoms, including Altered State Of Reality anxiety symptom.