Jim Folk, President, anxietycentre.com
Jim Folk suffered with anxiety disorder including debilitating panic attacks, from 1974 to 1986. During those 12 years, he had undergone countless tests; sought the help of numerous medical and mental health professionals; traveled to a clinic in Mexicali, Mexico; had been prescribed numerous medications; tried herbs, vitamins, diets, alternative therapies; and a host of other treatments in an attempt to regain his normal health.
After finding little help from medical and mental health professionals, in 1985, Jim came in contact with a psychologist who specialized in anxiety disorder. Jim's personal experience with anxiety and his comprehensive research, coupled with the psychologist's reassurances, helped Jim to turn his condition around. In 1986, Jim stopped all medication and regained his normal health one year later.
Jim continues to enjoy anxiety- and medication-free health today (over 30 years).
Jim’s 12-year battle with severe anxiety disorder, which included panic attack disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and social anxiety disorder cultivated a passion to help others. He vowed that if he ever overcome anxiety disorder, he would do whatever he could to help as many people as he could to achieve the same success.
Even though Jim overcame anxiety disorder in 1987, his passion to help others motivated him to continue with vigorous research into anxiety and other mental health disorders (which he continues to do today). In 1989, Jim began working with panic and anxiety disorder sufferers. In 1990, he established a local support group, and in 1992, he wrote the book "Recovering from Panic Attacks." In 1996, he developed the website panicattack-help.com, which transitioned into anxietycentre.com in 2000.
Today, Jim is the president of anxietycentre.com, which offers extensive self-help information and personal psychotherapy, therapy, counseling, and coaching services to individuals and small groups from around the world.
While most of Jim’s time is devoted to the work at anxietycentre.com, he occasionally has time to support external projects. Here are a few he's been involved with:
Interviews, Stories, and Citations:
- "Urges to pee and other ways our bodies react to anxiety" by Arti Patel, Global News
- "How To Cope With Holiday Stress" by Tiffany Oud, for The Weal magazine, SAIT
- "A World Of Worry" by Sydney Loney, Reader's Digest, July/Aug 2017
- “6 Things You Need to Know About Generalized Anxiety Disorder” by Sydney Loney, Reader’s Digest, Canada,
- "Anxiety Attacks" for CanadaWide.com, Wellness Matters by Natalie Bruckner-Menchelli
- Tencer & Grose Show on CHED 630 Radio, Tuesday March 25, 2014
- "Check In with Wes" on LA Talk Radio, April 2012
- Interview with Annette Martel on Live.ca, February 2011
- "Anxiety sufferers learn to confront fear" by Donna Grey, Calgary Herald, Oct. 19, 2006
- "Text book for the RtI-Psi Psychiatric/Mental Health Screeners & Progress Monitoring Database" - by Vance Stewart, Ph. D., Licensed Psychologist/Health Service Provider, Clinical & Educational Specialization Areas, 2019
- Achina Stein, Psychiatrist, East Providence, RI, USA
- “Stress Reduction Workshop” by Cathy Obright, London, Ontario
- "Cop Shock - Surviving Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)" second edition by Allen R. Kates
Acknowledgements and Testimonials
Jim has received many acknowledgements and testimonials about his work, such as:
"Thank you Doug Wildman and Jim Folk for your help." - Marc D., Canada
"Jim Folk, I am eternally grateful." - Sherry, USA
"Jim Folk, you've given me my life back." - Peter, UK
"Jim Folk, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!" - Julie, USA
You are literally a godsend - Kimberly, USA
May You And Your Staff Be Blessed For All Time - Abby S., Canada
Thanks to anxietycentre.com for all that it has helped me. - Nicole M., USA
I Cannot Thank You Enough - M.C., Japan
Thank You Anxietycentre And Your Team - Elizabeth, USA
A Very Big Thank You To One Of Your Counselors - Dianne K., Canada
A Big Thank You To Anxietycentre.com - Maria J., Australia
"Thank You For All The Work You Do At Anxietycentre.com" - John S., USA
"Your website saved my life a year ago." - Mike S., Canada
Jim, I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me. You have so much information others don't have. You need to write some books on anxiety. I'm sure they'd sell incredibly well.
Tim, 45, USA
I will always have a special place in my heart for Jim and Marilyn Folk. Jim's one-on-one counselling transformed my life. His genuine love for my health was overwhelming. Thanks Jim! All my dreams have come true.
Evelyn S., Canada
I feel very lucky to have found the Anxiety Centre and to have had Jim Folk as my personal coach.
Shelley B., USA
I'm incredibly impressed with the amount of work you have put into this, and with all of the material you have made available.
David G., B. Sc., M.D., F.R.C.P. (c) - Psychiatry, USA
I've just started reading your site, and I must say it's some of the best information I have read, in books, or on the net.
Pat A., Canada
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done. The health and peace I now experience was, in a large part, due to your help and support.
Thanks. I couldn't have done it without you! Keep up the great work!!
Perry G., UK
For more testimonials, visit our “Anxiety Testimonials” page.
As an entrepreneur, Jim, the companies he's founded, and the projects they have participated in, have won hundreds of awards including 7 Gemini Award Nominations, 3 Saskatchewan Showcase Awards, and a coveted Golden Sheaf Award.
Jim has over 40 years experience with anxiety disorder, and over 30 years of experience working one-on-one with individuals suffering from various forms of anxiety disorder (Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, phobias, etc.), stress, depression, interpersonal relationship problems (boundaries, self-esteem), anger issues, and physical/emotional/sexual/spiritual abuse.
Jim and Marilyn Folk currently live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They, and their highly skilled team of coaches, counselors, therapists, and psychotherapists continue to follow their passion of helping people with anxiety disorder and symptoms, and a variety of other mental health challenges.
Members can read more about his personal experiences with anxiety in the Recovery Support area of our Web site.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.