Why does anxiety affect the body physically and is it totally reversible? And does that mean I can get better for good?
Anxious behaviors stress the body, and a body that's under stress produces symptoms of being overly stressed. So anxiety symptoms are actually symptoms of stress. We call them anxiety symptoms because our overly anxious behaviors are the main source of the stress that causes the body to exhibit symptoms.
When you address the anxious behaviors, the body's stress diminishes. As the body's stress diminishes, it stops presenting symptoms. So, yes, anxiety disorder is totally reversible WHEN we do the right work. But symptoms can persist when you don't. That's why many people experience persistent symptoms, because they haven't done the right work so that the body CAN recover.
Knowing WHAT to do and DOING the right work is the way to eliminate anxiety disorder and its symptoms. For more information on what that work is, see “The Two Levels of Anxiety Disorder Recovery” at our website.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Frequent Questions page.