I've been having a lot of symptoms, such as a tight feeling in my head, some tingling sensations in the back of my head, and I also feel like I'm trapped inside my mind. My test results all came back normal. Can this be anxiety? If so, what can I do to get rid of my symptoms?
Yes, the symptoms you mentioned are common anxiety symptoms. Anxiety symptoms are actually symptoms of stress. We call them anxiety symptoms because anxiety is the main source of the stress that causes stress-caused symptoms. When a body becomes overly stressed, it produces symptoms of that stress, including the ones you mentioned.
It’s always a good idea to have new, changing, persistent, and returning symptoms checked out by your doctor to ensure they aren’t being caused by medical condition. But since you’ve done that and your test results have come back normal, you can feel confident that they are caused by anxiety.
To get rid of anxiety symptoms, there are two things we recommend:
- Access good self-help information: Accessing good self-help information can play a major role in the elimination of anxiety symptoms. Knowing what anxiety is, how anxiety affects the body, and what to do to reverse the harmful effects of anxiety can help you work towards the elimination of anxiety-caused symptoms.
NOTE: There are NO quick-fix or “miracle” cures to get rid of anxiety-caused symptoms. Knowing HOW to get rid of them, and then faithfully practicing the symptom elimination strategies IS the way to eliminate symptoms. Fortunately, there are a number of natural and practical things you can do to get rid of anxiety-caused symptoms. Chapter 4 in the Recovery Support area of our website lists and explains them.
- Work with an experienced anxiety disorder coach/counselor/therapist: Overcoming anxiety is more than just getting rid of symptoms. Since anxiety symptoms are caused by being overly anxious, and since being overly anxious is caused by unhealthy behaviors, to truly overcome anxiety and its symptoms you need to address the underlying factors of your anxiety so that you can eliminate the root of the anxiety problem and not just the symptoms of the problem. Once you eliminate the problem, the symptoms disappear by default. This is where the help of an experienced anxiety disorder therapist can be beneficial. An experienced therapist can help you identify and address the underlying factors of your anxiety so that you can resolve them and move forward in life in a healthy way. Doing so eliminates anxiety as a disorder for good.
Anxietycentre.com was established for this very reason: To provide leading-edge self-help materials in the Recovery Support area of our website, and to provide experienced personal coaches/counselors/therapists who are well trained in helping others overcome anxiety. Since our recommended therapists personally experienced and overcame anxiety disorder in their own lives, as well as have been professionally trained as therapists, they know what they are talking about. We believe the experience of walking the walk is a valuable asset in the recovery process.
Since the most effective way to overcome anxiety is with the combination of good self-help materials and therapy, you may want to consider becoming a member of our website and working with one of our recommended coaches/counselors/therapists.
The Recovery Support area of our website contains over 800 pages of helpful information about anxiety disorder. Many of our members tell us it is the best information available anywhere.
With the proper information and help, you can overcome anxiety disorder once and for all. But please consider this: Anxiety disorder almost never goes away by itself. You have to work at recovery before anxiety disorder is resolved. It has been our experience, though, that anyone can do it with the right information, effort, help, and support.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our Anxiety Frequent Questions page.