I’ve been dealing with anxiety for a long time. I have a lot of the symptoms you list at your website. Many of my friends have anxiety, too, but they only have one or two symptoms. Is my anxiety different because I have so many symptoms, or do some people just get some symptoms whereas others get many? In other words, is it common for anxiety sufferers to get many symptoms or just one or two?
Behaving anxiously (anxiety) stresses the body. A body that’s under stress can exhibit symptoms of stress. So, anxiety symptoms are actually symptoms of stress. We call them anxiety symptoms because behaving overly apprehensively is the main source of the stress that causes the body to exhibit symptoms.
Since each body is somewhat chemically unique, each body will respond somewhat differently to stress. For example, some people will experience only one or two symptoms of stress due to overly apprehensive behavior, while others may experience many or all of the symptoms we mention in the Anxiety Symptoms section of our website. It just depends on how your body responds to stress.
Moreover, the level of stress can also make a difference. For example, as the body’s level of stress increases, so can the type, number, intensity, duration, and frequency of symptoms. The more anxious you are, the more symptoms you can experience.
Both of the above factors can play a role in the number of symptoms a person can experience.
As for your second question, it’s more common for a person to experience many anxiety symptoms than it is to experience one or two. For example, in an online poll we conducted (March 2017), results showed that of those who experienced issues with anxiety:
- 1.2 percent experienced no symptoms
- 1.7 percent experienced only one symptom
- 12 percent experienced only a few symptoms
- 85.1 percent experienced many or all symptoms
As you can see, the category for experiencing many to all anxiety symptoms is the most common. The results of this poll echo those of our personal and professional experiences with anxiety disorder.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- For a comprehensive understanding of: Anxiety Disorders Symptoms & Signs, Types, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Anxiety and panic attacks symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop an anxiety attack and panic.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results. Such as:
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to overcome it.
Return to our Anxiety Frequent Questions page.
Authors: Jim Folk, Marilyn Folk, BScN. Last updated February 25, 2019.