I heard recently that dealing with addictions, such as alcohol and drugs, could be dealt with the same way as anxiety disorder, since the underlying factors of addiction are similar to that of anxiety disorder. Is this true? If so, do any of your therapists help people with addictions?
Yes, this is correct. The underlying factors of addiction are similar to those of anxiety disorder. And helping people overcome addictions is very similar to helping people overcome anxiety disorder.
And again, yes. Some of our recommended therapists also specialize in addiction counseling. For example, our therapists Amanda Diehl, Hellen Krahn, Brian Sellers, and Susan Tavener Waugh also specialize in addiction counseling. For more information about each therapist, click on their respective links.
The combination of good self-help information and working with an experienced anxiety disorder therapist is the most effective way to address anxiety disorder and its many symptoms. Until the core causes of anxiety are addressed - the underlying factors that motivate apprehensive behavior - a struggle with anxiety disorder can return again and again. Identifying and successfully addressing anxiety's underlying factors is the best way to overcome problematic anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders, Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, and Treatment.
- Anxiety attacks and panic symptoms can be powerful experiences. Find out what they are and how to stop them.
- How to stop panic attacks.
- Free online anxiety tests to screen for anxiety. Two minute tests with instant results.
- Anxiety 101 is a summarized description of anxiety, anxiety disorder, and how to recover.
Return to our Anxiety Frequent Questions page.